Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carson City, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Ormsby House

 
 
Ormsby House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Matthew J Ebert, May 7, 2010
1. Ormsby House Marker
Inscription.  Carson Citys first hotel site bought by Major William Ormsby in 1859 from M. Stebbins, completed after his death in the 1860 Indian War. The hotel was the first polling place in Carson City also meeting place of early lawmakers. It was lighted by gas, also the first arc light.
 
Erected 1967 by Julia C Bulette Chapter 1864 of E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 40.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 39° 9.791′ N, 119° 46.018′ W. Marker is in Carson City, Nevada. Marker is at the intersection of North Carson Street and West Second Street when traveling north on North Carson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 West Second Street, Carson City NV 89703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tribute to Nevada Coal Miners (within shouting distance of this marker); Carson City (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Charles Hotel (within shouting distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker); Kit Carson 1843 – 44 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nevada’s Capitol (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Carson City (about 300 feet away); Abraham Van Santvoord Curry (about 300 feet away); Olcovich-Meyers House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carson City.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the corner of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2021, by Matthew J Ebert of Gerlach, NV. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on May 28, 2021, by Matthew J Ebert of Gerlach, NV. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174114

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021