Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellaville in Schley County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Bank of Ellaville

Ellaville History Wall

 
 
The Bank of Ellaville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 7, 2021
1. The Bank of Ellaville Marker
Inscription.  The Bank of Ellaville was formed on August 5, 1910 and was located on the corner of Oglethorpe and Wilson Streets. In 1917 the bank moved to the store front just west of the present Gill Drug Company on Oglethorpe Street, which is the building in this painting. In 1984 the bank was moved to a location on South Broad Street and the name was changed to Central Bank of Georgia to reflect the growth of the bank in surrounding towns. Paul Gill first bought an interest in the bank in 1951 and purchased most of the stock in 1972. His son, John, served as President for many years preceding his death. The bank is now Ameris Bank.

Commissioned by John Gill in memory of his father, Paul Leon Gill.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is August 5, 1910.
 
Location. 32° 14.25′ N, 84° 18.439′ W. Marker is in Ellaville, Georgia, in Schley County. Marker is on South Wilson Street just south of Oglethorpe Street (Georgia Route 26), on the right when traveling south. Marker and mural are located on the Ellaville History Wall. Touch for map. Marker

The Bank of Ellaville Mural image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 7, 2021
2. The Bank of Ellaville Mural
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at or near this postal address: 55 South Wilson Street, Ellaville GA 31806, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gill Drug Company (here, next to this marker); Schley County Jail (here, next to this marker); Suwannee Store (here, next to this marker); Burton House (here, next to this marker); The Peacock Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Ellaville High School • Schley County High School (a few steps from this marker); Ellaville High School (a few steps from this marker); The Ellaville Depot (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellaville.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Ellaville History Wall
 
Also see . . .  Schley County History: Establishment of a Bank in Ellaville. A combination of thrift and economy, coupled with good business judgment and hard work, resulted in some of the citizens of Ellaville and Schley accumulating a surplus of money. Desiring to use it to the best advantage of all parties concerned, some of the citizens of the town and county organized in 1910 the Bank of Ellaville, with commodious quarters in the brick building directly in front of the Hotel Peacock. The first officials of the bank were: president, J. H. Stevens; cashier, H. G. Mauk. (Submitted on May 30, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
The Bank of Ellaville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 7, 2021
3. The Bank of Ellaville Marker
 
 
Ellaville History Wall image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 7, 2021
4. Ellaville History Wall
(marker is #3 - from the left – of 12)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174158

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2021