Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellaville in Schley County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Burton House

Ellaville History Wall

 
 
Burton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 7, 2021
1. Burton House Marker
Inscription.  The Burton House was the home of one of the first families in the area. Robert Burton sold 150 acres of land to the newly formed Schley County for $1500. The City of Ellaville was established on this land to serve as the County seat. The town was named after his eldest daughter, Ella. This painting is a copy of a watercolor that hangs in City Hall, but the artist is unknown. It was commissioned by employees of the City of Ellaville.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 32° 14.249′ N, 84° 18.439′ W. Marker is in Ellaville, Georgia, in Schley County. Marker is on South Wilson Street just south of Oglethorpe Street (Georgia Route 26), on the right when traveling south. Marker and mural are located on the Ellaville History Wall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 South Wilson Street, Ellaville GA 31806, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schley County Jail (here, next to this marker); The Bank of Ellaville (here, next to this marker); Gill Drug Company (here, next to
Burton House Mural image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 7, 2021
2. Burton House Mural
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker); Suwannee Store (here, next to this marker); The Peacock Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Ellaville High School • Schley County High School (a few steps from this marker); Ellaville High School (a few steps from this marker); The Ellaville Depot (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellaville.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Ellaville History Wall
 
Also see . . .  City of Ellaville History. On December 22, 1857, the General assembly of the State of Georgia passed an act to layout and form a new county out of the counties of Marion and Sumter, to be named Schley, for William Schley, governor of Georgia from 1835 to 1839. The new county seat was laid off in the early spring of 1858. As a compliment to Miss Ella Burton, eldest daughter of Robert Burton, a leading citizen of this section, the town was named Ellaville. (Submitted on May 30, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Burton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 7, 2021
3. Burton House Marker
Ellaville History Wall image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 7, 2021
4. Ellaville History Wall
(marker is leftmost of 12)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174160

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2021