Pontiac in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Made in Pontiac
The City of Vehicles
Around 1900, its carriage industry was thriving, so people already knew how to make wheeled vehicles. But when things became motorized, Pontiac grew into a sparking engine of ideas and "self-propelled" machines. In the early 1900s a dazzling range of companies here produced cars and trucks, even tractors. By the 1920s, many of these companies had gone out of business or were absorbed by General Motors and Pontiac became one of the capitals of the auto industry. Pontiac's reputation for vehicles endured as GM introduced new rides - muscle cars, vans, motorhomes.
You Auto Know
More than 30 motor vehicle brands were built in the City of Pontiac between 1903 and 2009.
Erected by Motorcities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 42° 38.464′ N, 83° 17.612′ W. Marker is in Pontiac, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pontiac MI 48342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Validation Testing (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Inspiration Road (approx. Ό mile away); A Record Of Innovation (approx. Ό mile away); Molten Metal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Parades and People-Watching (approx. 0.3 miles away); Outstanding Architecture (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pontiac.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.