as "The Friendly City of Opportunity"
with vehicle manufacturing beginning in the early 20th Century. The automotive sector is especially known for creating many other jobs too. Assembly operations naturally led to companies that provided parts to car makers. In the 1920s suppliers found in Pontiac included Eaton Axle & Spring, American Forging & Socket, Pontiac Varnish, Perfection Foundry & Machine, and General Accessories. More widespread were car-related jobs like maintenance and repair facilities, gas stations, and dealerships. Jobs in retail stores and civic services also developed as auto workers spent their wages and paid taxes.
You Auto Know
In 1920 car batteries were tested and had water added every two weeks. For convenience, a battery service station was located downtown at 42 W. Lawrence Street.
Erected by Motorcities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 42° 38.232′ N, 83° 17.356′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pontiac Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Oak Hill Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Pontiac Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Parades and People-Watching (about 700 feet away); Outstanding Architecture (about 700 feet away); From Trail To Pavement (about 700 feet away); Molten Metal (about 800 feet away); Pontiac's Coach Builders (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pontiac.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.