Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Chaptico in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chaptico

 
 
Chaptico Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, January 6, 2009
1. Chaptico Marker
Inscription.  Established in 1683 as one of the four ports of entry in St. Mary's County. Shipping continued until early in the twentieth century. Christ Church, built in 1736, has been used continuously since. On July 30, 1814, British forces looted the town, causing much damage.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraIndustry & CommerceWar of 1812.
 
Location. 38° 22.103′ N, 76° 46.943′ W. Marker is in Chaptico, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is at the intersection of Budds Creek Road (Maryland Route 234) and Chaptico Road (Maryland Route 238), on the right when traveling south on Budds Creek Road. Maker is about 200 feet north of the roundabout at the intersection of Routes 234 and 238. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chaptico MD 20621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Chaptico (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christ Church King and Queen Parish
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Prosperous Port Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Deep Falls" (approx. 1˝ miles away); Forest Hall (approx. 4.9 miles away); Extending the Rail (approx. 5.2 miles away); Tobacco Barns (approx. 5.3 miles away); Village of Mechanicsville (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chaptico.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,068 times since then and 15 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on March 28, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 1, 2020