Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pontiac in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 28, 2021
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized February 26, 1824, by four men and nine women under the leadership of Missionary Eldad Goodman at John Voorheis’ home in Bloomfield Township, the congregation met during its early years in Pontiac and for a time in Auburn. In 1844, a brick church, 40' X 70', on the northwest corner of Huron and Saginaw was completed. In 1868, members subscribed funds for a building on the present site. It burned in 1914. The present church was begun in 1918 and was dedicated in 1924.
 
Erected 1961 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L0014.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 26, 1824.
 
Location. 42° 38.32′ N, 83° 17.645′ W. Marker is in Pontiac, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Wayne Street and West Huron Street, on the right when traveling south on Wayne Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 99 Wayne St, Pontiac MI 48342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 28, 2021
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. A Record Of Innovation (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Inspiration Road (about 600 feet away); Molten Metal (about 800 feet away); Made in Pontiac (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Validation Testing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Outstanding Architecture (approx. 0.2 miles away); Parades and People-Watching (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pontiac.
 
Also see . . .  Our History. Excerpt:
On a cold snowy day in February, 1824, four men and nine women met in the house of John and Mary Voorheis on Square Lake Road to consider organizing a church. They were brought together by the Reverend Eldad W. Goodman who journeyed from the only Presbyterian Church in Michigan at Monroe. All thirteen people brought letters attesting to their good standing from Congregational or Presbyterian Churches in the east or from Detroit.
(Submitted on May 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 28, 2021
3. First Presbyterian Church
Cornerstone
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 28, 2021
4. First Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 19 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174268

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2021