Near Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson
In 1885 the Ninth Cavalry arrived at Fort Robinson, which was regimental headquarters from 1887 to 1898. The black troopers helped build the new post during the fort's 1887 expansion and were the first cavalrymen sent to the Pine Ridge Reservation during the Ghost Dance troubles of 1890. Lt. John Alexander, the second African American graduate of West Point, and Henry Plummer, the first black chaplain in the regular army, served here. So did ten buffalo soldier Medal of Honor men.
In 1902, the men of the "Fighting Tenth" Cavalry, veterans of the Battle of San Juan Hill, made their headquarters here. Four years later the Tenth helped capture Ute Indians who had fled their Utah reservation, the last military action against Indians on the northern Plains. In 1907 the regiment left for duty in the Philippines.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Forts and Castles • War, Spanish-American • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Buffalo Soldiers, the Medal of Honor Recipients, and the Nebraska State Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 42° 40.191′ N, 103° 28.339′ W. Marker is near Crawford, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 20 half a mile north of U.S. 20. Coordinates are approximate. The Marker is located in Fort Robinson State Park, off Soldier Creek Road, near the Buffalo Soldier Barracks. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3200 Highway 20, Crawford NE 69339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officers’ Row, 1909 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1887 Barracks Row (approx. ¼ mile away); Flagstaff, 1890 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ft. Robinson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Adobe Officers’ Quarters (approx. 0.3 miles away); Post Headquarters, 1905 (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1909 Brick Barracks (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Ft. Robinson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawford.
Also see . . . Buffalo Soldiers, Braves, and the Brass: The Story of Fort Robinson. A book about the Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson, written by Frank N. Schubert, is available on Amazon.com. (Submitted on December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. Fort Robinson Museum
The State Historical Society operates a museum at Fort Robinson, located in the old headquarters building. In it you can find the story of the fort from its beginnings as a camp. What remains at Fort Robinson is an impressive array of well-kept buildings constructed throughout the life of the fort. Remaining are the veterinary hospital, equipped with turn-of-the-century, state-of-the-art equipment, blacksmith and harness repair shops and horse barns, officer's quarters and more. The history of the fort and that of its residents continues to be told in the remaining structures, grounds and especially at the museum.
— Submitted December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,446 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on May 30, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. Photos: 1. submitted on May 26, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. 2. submitted on December 11, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on December 25, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.