St. Vincent de Paul Church
Detroit architects John M. Donaldson and Walter Meier designed this Victorian Gothic church. Upon its dedication on September 18, 1887, a fourteen-coach excursion train brought spectators and clergy from Detroit to Pontiac to celebrate. Bishop Casper Henry Borgess and Father Fridolin Baumgartner presided over the ceremony. A 6,600-pound bell, cast by H. Stuckstede and Company, was installed in the bell tower of the church
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1403.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 18, 1887.
Location. 42° 37.936′ N, 83° 17.31′ W. Marker is in Pontiac, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodward Avenue and Whittemore Street, on the right when traveling north on Woodward Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 46408 Woodward Ave, Pontiac MI 48342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pontiac Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pontiac's Coach Builders (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pontiac Public Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); From Trail To Pavement (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oak Hill CemeteryBuilding Trucks In Pontiac (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pontiac Thrived (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pontiac.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 31, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.