Lake Park in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ewell Brown General Merchandise Store
General Merchandise Store
Listed on the
of Historic Places
Lake Park Historical Society Museum
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 30° 40.99′ N, 83° 10.927′ W. Marker is in Lake Park, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is on North Lawrence Street just north of North Railroad Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level beside the entrance on the east side of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Railroad Avenue, Lake Park GA 31636, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Michael McKenzie Smith (approx. 5.6 miles away in Florida); Echols County (approx. 9.3 miles away); Old City Hall (approx. 11.7 miles away); Troop Encampment Site (approx. 11.7 miles away); Nationsbank (approx. 11.7 miles away); Site of Cotton Exchange Millhous & Boothe Building (approx. 11.8 miles away); Dosta Theater (approx. 11.8 miles away).
Regarding Ewell Brown General Merchandise Store. National Register of Historic Places #97000099. Building currently houses the Lake Park Historical Society Museum.
Also see . . .
1. Ewell Brown General Store (Wikipedia). In 1892 it was a drug store and general merchandise store operated by a Dr. E. Taylor. Ewell Brown was an employee: a pill roller and assistant operator. Ewell Brown bought the store in 1899 and along with his brother, Bob, operated it was a general merchandise store. Bob took over the store in 1948 and it closed in 1953 or 1954, due to the realignment of US 41, which caused a decline in trade. (Submitted on May 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Lake Park Historical Society. This building was donated to the Lake Park Area Historical Society in 1994 by Leslie Taylor Brown. The Society restored the building to its original state and is now listed on the National Register of Historic places. (Submitted on May 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.