First settlers included John Parramore, Shadrick Atkinson, E. Blackshear, N.R. Mitchell and John Hill Bryan. The first governing justices were Aaron Everett, Thomas Dekle, Duncan Ray, Simon D. Hadley and A. McMillan.
The home of prosperous farms, beautiful mansions, with industry and culture working side by side.
(Text by Leb Dekle, President Thomas County Historical Society.)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 136-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 23, 1825.
Location. 30° 50.337′ N, 83° 58.908′ W. Marker is in Thomasville, Georgia, in Thomas County. Marker is on North Broad Street just south of West Washington Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Big Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Plaza Restaurant (approx. 0.3 miles away); Flowers Baking Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Coffee Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Prison Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Finney General Hospital (approx. 1.9 miles away); Olive Baptist Church (approx. 16.1 miles away in Florida).
Also see . . .
1. Thomas County (Wikipedia). The county is named for Jett Thomas, officer in the War of 1812 who is also known for overseeing the construction of the first building at the University of Georgia (originally referred to as Franklin College and known today as Old College) as well as the old state capitol at Milledgeville. (Submitted on May 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Thomas County. The county has seven municipalities, the largest is Thomasville. Others include Barwick, Boston, Coolidge, Meigs, Ochlocknee, and Pavo. Ochlocknee is named for the river flowing through Thomas County. Meigs was named for several Meigs families who came from Marlboro County, South Carolina. Pavo is Latin for Peacock, which (Submitted on May 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Thomasville: Our History. Without a railroad until 1861, Thomas County residents became largely self-sufficient. Agriculture was diversified and business methods were modernized. With the advent of the Civil War, Thomasville played an important role in the Confederate cause by supplying goods and men. The war itself touched the county only briefly when Federal prisoners were sent to Thomasville from Andersonville in late 1864. (Submitted on May 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Last updated on May 31, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.