Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parkersburg in Wood County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Rotary Club of Parkersburg

Centennial

 
 
Rotary Club of Parkersburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 30, 2021
1. Rotary Club of Parkersburg Marker
Inscription.  At this site, on February 8, 1919, a group of twenty seven leading citizens of Parkersburg met at the Chancellor Hotel to organize the Rotary Club of Parkersburg while petitioning the International Association of Rotary Clubs for a charter. Leading the effort was local attorney at law, John Marshall, who would later become Deputy Attorney General of the United States. The Rotary Club of Parkersburg received its charter on March 1, 1919, only fourteen years after the first club was formed in Chicago, Illinois. At that time, the club chose to meet weekly every Monday at 12:15 pm. in the "parlors of the Chancellor Hotel." As the city and nation grew, the club continued to meet at the hotel until the 1970’s when the Chancellor closed and was eventually demolished on this site. 100 years later, the club, made up of a diverse group of business men and women, continues its Monday luncheon meetings while engaging in various community service projects. They are still guided by Rotary’s Four-Way Test which is recited each week:

“Of the things we think, say or do:
      1. Is it the TRUTH?
      2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
      3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
      4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?”
 
Erected by DuPont Washington Works.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkFraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical date for this entry is February 8, 1919.
 
Location. 39° 16.008′ 
Rotary Club of Parkersburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 30, 2021
2. Rotary Club of Parkersburg Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 81° 33.502′ W. Marker is in Parkersburg, West Virginia, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling west on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 7th St, Parkersburg WV 26101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 700 Market Square Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line in Ohio); S. L. Gould House (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Smoot Theatre (about 700 feet away); Masonic Temple (about 700 feet away); 821 Juliana Street (about 800 feet away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parkersburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174320

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 26, 2022