Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Galveston Market House and City Hall
During the 1830s, an informal, outdoor market started in the half-block north of Market Street between 20th and 21st streets. In 1846, mayor John Sydnor hired Ives and Crow to build a 260-foot long structure in the center of 20th Street between Mechanic (C) and Market (D) streets to serve both as a produce market and as the city hall. The Colonial style white frame building had four dormer windows and a roof cupola. The ground floor originally housed 34 meat, vegetable and coffee stalls, with the city offices, including the police department, and a large public meeting hall located on the second floor.
A fish market operated across the street. Galvestonians celebrated the building's opening with a grand ball. The market stalls were stocked with produce, meat, fish and other goods brought in from the bay area on catboats that landed at the nearby Brick and Kuhn's Wharves. Before the Civil War, annual stall rents ranged from a high of $100 (meat) to a low of $35 (fish) and the city added a 100-foot extension to meet the demand for stalls. On Oct. 7, 1862, Galvestonians gathered in the market and voted to peacefully accept Union
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17944.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 29° 18.403′ N, 94° 47.437′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of 20th Street and Market Street, in the median on 20th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American National Insurance Company (within shouting distance of this marker); C. F. Marschner Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1894 Grand Opera House (about 500 feet away); Hendley's Row (about 500 feet away); Galveston Historical FoundationHendley Row (about 500 feet away); Custom House, Post Office and United States Court House (about 600 feet away); The Hendley Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.