Near Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dedicated on July 14, 1864, Highland Cemetery served as the final resting place for Ypsilanti's pioneer, commercial, social and educational community. Mary Anne Starkweather commissioned the Richardson Romanesque chapel, designed by George Mason, in honor of her husband John, which crowns the entry drive.
The oldest gravesite is that of Walter Oakman. His body and dozens of others were moved to Highland from Pioneer and Prospect Cemeteries.
Erected by Washtenaw County Historic District Commission. (Marker Number YC-27.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical date for this entry is July 14, 1864.
Location. 42° 15.327′ N, 83° 36.547′ W. Marker is near Ypsilanti, Michigan Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 943 N River St, Ypsilanti MI 48198, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ypsilanti Civil War Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. John the Baptist Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Manufacturing History (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michigan Central Freighthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Last Hudson Dealership (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Oliver House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Real McCoy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Michigan Central Railroad Gardens (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.