Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gilliam in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Caddo Prairie Crossroads

1820s - 1840s

 
 
Caddo Prairie Crossroads Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Armstrong, March 13, 2021
1. Caddo Prairie Crossroads Marker
Inscription.  Just to the north of Herndon Middle Magnet School is one of the most historic regions in north Caddo Parish. During the early decades of the 19th century it was a crossroads of navigable bayous, a Caddo Indian Trail, an early road which settlers used and the first cotton plantations in what was then called "Caddo Prairie."

The Significance of what might be called "Caddo Prairie Crossroads," was noted by the United States Government and led to the establishment in the area of an Indian Agency House in the years 1825-1831 for the Caddo and other Indian groups. The U.S. Government also improved navigation on Black and Red Bayous by clearing out the bayous and developing a canal between the two bayous. Heading up the navigation improvements was Lt. Washington Seawell. Small steamboats and other water craft were now able to bypass the Upper Red River Raft north of Shreveport. The lower Red River Raft was cleared by Captain Henry Miller Shreve during the 1830s, but not the Upper Raft.

Early settlers and land owners from the 1820s to the 1840s were such noted historical figures as Larkin Edwards, James Shennick, Jacob Irwin, Angus McNeil,

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
John Sewall, Sturgis Sprague, James Herndon and James Erwin. Many of these individuals were among the original founders of Shreveport.
 
Erected by Red River Crossroads Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
 
Location. 32° 49.632′ N, 93° 50.695′ W. Marker is in Gilliam, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker is on Main Street north of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Located to the right of the Red River Crossroads Historical Association Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12797 Main St, Gilliam LA 71029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Gilliam (a few steps from this marker); Gilliam Louisiana (a few steps from this marker); TS&N/T&P Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Gilliam United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reuben Thom Douglas Home (about 700 feet away); Linda Lay Memorial (about 700 feet away); Justice Chapel Baptist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lynn Plantation (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilliam.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. This page has been viewed 14 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on June 1, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174348

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2021