Edgar in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mount Zion Baptist Church
Mount Zion Baptist Church was organized on July 18, 1869, with fifteen charter members. The Rev. Mitchell Harrison (d. 1906) was the congregation's first pastor and is credited with naming the new church.
The congregation worshiped in a number of places before permanently locating here in 1890. An outdoor brush arbor was built two miles north of Concrete (4.5 Mi. NW), which was later replaced by a log structure south of Concrete. After a storm destroyed the log church a new wooden building was erected, which was disassembled and reconstructed at this site in 1890. The first worship service was held in the new building on October 31, 1890.
The Rev. Mr. Harrison continued to serve as pastor of Mount Zion until his death. He was succeeded by the Rev. S.A. Pleasants, who served until 1923, at which time the Rev. N.E. Henderson became pastor, serving until his death in 1947.
The church purchased a schoolhouse for use as a fellowship hall in 1951. The church building was renovated in 1956, with the original twin bell towers being replaced by a new steeple.
At the time of its centennial in 1969 Mount
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3498.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 18, 1869.
Location. 29° 12.327′ N, 97° 14.208′ W. Marker is in Edgar, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on Alternate U.S. 77, 0.1 miles south of Pleasant Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Washington Davis (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dr. William Watt White (approx. 3.7 miles away); Concrete College (1865 - 1881) (approx. 4.1 miles away); Friar-Cardwell Stage Stand (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Chisholm Trail (approx. 5.6 miles away); Stagecoach Inn (approx. 6.9 miles away); Asberry School (approx. 7.4 miles away); Hochheim (approx. 7.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is located next to the highway but the church is located a quarter of a mile to the east.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.