Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Alexander and Annie Hamilton House
Alexander Hamilton (1846-1906) was born in Carlisle County, Kentucky, and came to Texas in 1850, living with his family on the Smith Farm between Clinton and Yorktown. At sixteen, Alexander volunteered for the Confederate Army, serving one year as the war ended and taking part in the last skirmish of the Civil War near Brownsville. Following his service, Hamilton opened a mercantile store in Clinton, eventually moving the store to Cuero in 1873. Hamilton married Annie Epps Thornton (1855-1913) in 1878 and they started a family in a small house in the Morgantown neighborhood. In 1880, Hamilton purchased this block to construct his family home, along with a lot at Esplanade and Church streets for his mercantile business. Hamilton also established the First National Bank, operating out of the store. As a successful businessman in Cuero, Hamilton was one of the organizers, president and manager of the Cuero Cotton Oil and Manufacturing Company. He was one of the first importers of Hereford cattle in DeWitt County.
This house was built in 1883 by local contractors in a style similar to Annie's parents' house in Victoria. The two-story
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 22666.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 29° 5.862′ N, 97° 17.298′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of North Esplanade Street (U.S. 183) and West Prairie, on the right when traveling south on North Esplanade Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 906 North Esplanade Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alex and Clare Wofford Hamilton House (within shouting distance St. Mark's Lutheran Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Heaton-Breeden House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Proctor-Green House (approx. 0.4 miles away); General August C. Buchel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.