Near Glenville in Gilmer County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Stalnaker Plantation / Old Stalnaker Family Cemetery
Stalnaker Plantation. Major William Stalnaker moved here with his family from Randolph County in 1817 to claim a land grant for services rendered in the War of 1812. Tobacco was among the crops grown on the plantation. A post office was established in community of DeKalb in 1835. Nearby Millseat Run was site of temporary campgrounds for Native Americans traveling the Little Kanawha River Trail.
Old Stalnaker Family Cemetery. Earliest burial for Stalnaker family; Frances (circa 18088/8/1851), 1st wife of Salathiel, son of Major William (circa 17929/18/1874) and Elizabeth (circa 17869/17/1876); Elizabeth (12/10/183110/12/1875), 2nd wife of Salathiel, and their daughter, Frances Chrisman (11/22/185711/27/1896). Martin Ward (7/15/18281/6/1863) only burial not related to family.
Erected 2004 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
Location. 38° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glenville WV 26351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jobs Temple (approx. 0.9 miles away); Engle Homestead (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Gilmer Rifles (approx. 6 miles away); Glenville State College (approx. 6 miles away); Glenville State Teachers College (approx. 6.1 miles away); Attack on Glenville (approx. 6.1 miles away); Fort Moore (approx. 6.1 miles away); Glenville (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.