Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Alex and Clare Wofford Hamilton House
Cuero native Alexander Frank Hamilton (1880-1952), one of three sons born to Alexander and Annie (Thornton) Hamilton, attended local schools and Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire before commencing on a long career in ranching and business. In 1904, he married Clare Wofford (1879-1973), one of eleven children of John T. and Josephine (Stevens) Wofford, pioneer DeWitt County planters and ranchers. Alexander and Clare had two children. In addition to managing the family's Valley View Ranch near Cheapside, Alex was director of the Buchel National Bank and director of the Cuero Cotton Oil & Manufacturing Company. Clare was prominent in Cuero Society, including as president of the Hawthorne Club, a literary and cultural organization.
A block facing North Esplanade Street which included the homes of several Hamilton family members became known as a the Hamilton block. In 1916-17, Alex and Clare Hamilton commissioned noted San Antonio architect Atlee B. Ayres to design a home for their family. Ayres and his firm designed many residences, commercial buildings, schools, courthouses and other buildings, primarily in San Antonio
After Alex Hamilton's death in 1952, Clare continued living in the home and managing ranch property until her death in 1973. Their daughter and her husband then lived here for more than twenty years. The house is an important example of the architectural and cultural heritage of the community.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2019
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 2019 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 22598.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 29° 5.894′ N, 97° 17.284′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of North Esplanade Street (U.S. 183) and East Reuss Boulevard (Farm to Market Road 766), on the right when traveling south on North Esplanade Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 912 North Esplanade Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Alexander and Annie Hamilton House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mark's Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Heaton-Breeden House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Proctor-Green House (approx. 0.4 miles away); General August C. Buchel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.