Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Galveston College's Moody Hall began as the second home of St. Mary's orphanage. From 1867 to 1967, St. Mary's orphanage operated on Galveston Island under the sisters of charity of The incarnate word. In 1874, land was purchased on the beach about three miles west of the original City of Galveston and a two-story framed building was erected that served as the original St. Mary's asylum until the devastating 1900 storm that destroyed the building. After the hurricane and during recovery, a new orphanage site along Avenue Q and 40th was purchased that consisted of wood-frame houses.
In 1950, this three-story structure was built with aid from the Community Chest and Catholic charities in the Brick-square style of architecture with Colonial elements. The new St. Mary's Orphanage building, still managed by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, continued to offer services of housing, meals and education to orphans and displaced children. In the 1960s, the care of dependent children shifted from orphanages to foster care homes and, in 1967, bishop Wendelin Nold and the Orphan Association of Galveston decided
In May 1967, the Galveston College Board of Regents used a Moody Foundation grant to purchase St. Mary's Orphanage and renovate the facility. In gratitude for the Moody Foundation's commitment to Galveston College, St. Mary's Orphanage was renamed Moody Hall. As a continuation of service to youth, Galveston College has maintained this historic structure for the education and benefit of the generations.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2017
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18817.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 29° 17.077′ N, 94° 48.516′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Avenue Q east of Jack Johnson Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Marker is near the front door to the building but the building is set back 225' from Avenue Q with obstructions, making it difficult to see the marker from the street but it can be seen. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4015 Avenue Q, Galveston, Texas, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Henry Borden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baden-Sproule House (approx. ¼ mile away); Williams-Tucker House, 1837-40 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Samuel May Williams (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dr. Frederick K. and Lucy Adelaide Fisher House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Powhatan House (approx. half a mile away); The Mexican Telegraph Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Michel B. Menard (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . .
1. St. Mary's orphanage in the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on June 1, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Galveston College at Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 2, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.