Laporte in Larimer County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
This log house was built by French trader Sam Deon in 1858
Erected 1989 by Cache la Poudre Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 40° 37.572′ N, 105° 8.267′ W. Marker is in Laporte, Colorado, in Larimer County. Marker is on Overland Trail, 0 miles south of US 287B Highway, on the right when traveling north. This is the first building south of the Laporte Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2710 Overland Trail / County Road 21C, Laporte CO 80535, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In 1862 This Log House was Used as a Station House (approx. ¼ mile away); Bingham Hill Historic Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dedicated to the Memory of Antoine Janis The Cache la Poudre River (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bellvue Hydraulic Irrigation Laboratory (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Flowers Store and Post Office (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Flowers House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Grand Army of the Republic Monument (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laporte.
Regarding This log house was built by French trader Sam Deon in 1858. Laporte was one of the first settlements in Northern Colorado. This first cabin reflects the strong French influence in the trapping trade that brought Europeans to this part of the American West.
Also see . . . Historic Cabin Still Stands. Page 6 in this newspaper is a brief story of this cabin and its earliest inhabitants.
Here in the little [village of Colona, later called Laporte] its founders and their Indian wives and children lived happily for 20 years until the furor over Custer's defeat at the Little Big Horn drove them to the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota.(Submitted on June 1, 2021, by Michael O'Neill of Livermore, Colorado.)
The small log house already stood when the soldiers came to make an army camp that was named Camp Collins and
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by Michael O'Neill of Livermore, Colorado. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2021, by Michael O'Neill of Livermore, Colorado. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.