Yorktown in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Holy Cross Catholic Church
This church was established by Polish families who first came to Texas in the 1850s and settled in Panna Maria, then migrated to this area. A group of Polish Catholics split from the primarily German Catholic Church in Meyersville and joined the Catholic Church in Yorktown. By 1867, there were 13 Polish households as members of the Yorktown congregation, and the time had come to build a new church facility.
In 1867, Anton and Lucyia Koszielsky deeded land at this site to the church, and the building that was constructed was dedicated to St. Mary. After it burned in 1915, the parish hired architect F.B. Gaenslen to design their new building completed in 1916, the building utilized the cross from the steeple on the former church and thus came to be called Holy Cross. Construction work was overseen by Falbo Contractors of San Antonio, with much of the labor supplied by parishioners. Gaenslen's design for a simplified romanesque style church was carried out in red brick, with polychrome brick detailing on the tower. Its romanesque features are evident in its tower, semicircular arched windows and corbelled parapet.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12794.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 28° 58.941′ N, 97° 29.129′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of Zion Street and Community Hall Road (County Highway 456), on the left when traveling east on Zion Street. The marker is located in front of the Church by the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1214 Zorn Road, Yorktown TX 78164, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); DeWitt County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); De Witt County (approx. 0.6 miles away); John York and Charles Eckhardt (approx. 1.1 miles away); C. Eckhardt & Sons Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Yorktown (approx. 1.1 miles away); 2nd. Lt. Adolph StrieberShiloh (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.