Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
"Old Fire Bell"
Used from 1890 until 1950 to summon volunteer firemen. Dedicated to all volunteers, past, present, and future of Delaware City.
Volunteer Fire Company
Organized Mar. 17, 1887
Delaware City Hose Co.
Jan 23, 1889
Delaware City Fire Co. No. 1
Reorganized July 9, 1924
Incorporated Jan. 29, 1926
Erected 1963 by Tidewater Oil Co.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Communications. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 9, 1924.
Location. 39° 34.486′ N, 75° 35.882′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Madison Street just south of 5th Street (Delaware Route 9), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 5th St, Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delaware City Fire Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Delaware City Public School (approx. ¼ mile away); Delaware City School No. 118CCollins-Blackburn Memorial Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Delaware City Fire Company (approx. half a mile away); Fort DuPont (approx. half a mile away); Floated Across The River (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.