Northville in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wash Oak School
This one was built in 1873 at a site several miles to the west of Northville, on Currie Road south of 8 Mile in Salem Township. It takes its name from serving students from both Washtenaw and Oakland Counties. Moved here in 1975, it offers the experience of history for elementary school classes.
Erected by Northville Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 42° 25.987′ N, 83° 28.793′ W. Marker is in Northville, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Griswold Street 0.2 miles from East Main Street. Located in the Mill Race Historical Village. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 Griswold St, Northville MI 48167, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New School Church (a few steps from this marker); Hirsch Blacksmith Shop (a few steps from this marker); Outhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Weavers Cottage (within shouting distance of this Hunter House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mill Race Historical Village (within shouting distance of this marker); J.M. Mead General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Cady Inn (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northville.
Also see . . . Wash Oak Schoolhouse. Excerpt:
Moved to the Village in 1975, this building served Washtenaw and Oakland counties as a one-room school from 1873 to 1966. It was originally located on the west side of Currie Road, between Seven and Eight Mile roads. Unfortunately, only 30 years after the school opened, it burned down. This was the only school in the Salem area, so it was quickly rebuilt. This school taught students from 3rd through 12th grade, and spanned across Washtenaw and Oakland Counties. The school remained open and active until 1966.(Submitted on June 2, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 20 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 2, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.