Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Northville in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

New School Church

 
 
New School Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 10, 2021
1. New School Church Marker
Inscription.  It served Northville's public life for over 115 years.
Built in 1845, this structure was a church for only four years. It then was a school and a township hall before serving as Northville's library for over 70 years. Land for Mill Race Historical Village was secured to save historic buildings, and this was the first to be moved here in 1972. It is available to rent for weddings and meetings.
 
Erected by Northville Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
 
Location. 42° 25.994′ N, 83° 28.794′ W. Marker is in Northville, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Griswold Street 0.2 miles north of East Main Street. Located in the Mill Race Historical Village. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 Griswold St, Northville MI 48167, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wash Oak School (a few steps from this marker); Hunter House (a few steps from this marker); Weavers Cottage (a few
New School Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 10, 2021
2. New School Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
steps from this marker); Outhouse (a few steps from this marker); Mill Race Historical Village (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gazebo (within shouting distance of this marker); Hirsch Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northville.
 
Also see . . .  New School Church. Excerpt:
Built in 1845 in Salem Township by a splinter group of the Presbyterian Church of Northville, it served as a church for only four years. Later, it was used as a school, a township hall, a Salvation Army barracks and as Northville’s library. In 1891 it was returned to the building's original owner, Mary Lapham. Mary was an active member in the Northville Women’ Club, and the building was used to host their meetings, and Northville’s first public library.
(Submitted on June 2, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
Mill Race image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 10, 2021
3. Mill Race
New School Church was moved to the Mill Race Historical Village in 1972. It was the first building preserved at the historic village.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174557

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2021