Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Covington in Kenton County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Sandford House / Western Baptist Theological Institute

 
 
Sandford House Marker side image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2021
1. Sandford House Marker side
Inscription.  
Sandford House
Built in early 1800s by Major Alfred Sandford. Land originally owned by his father, Gen. Thomas Sandford, who was first member of Congress from Northern Ky. In 1835 house purchased by the Western Baptist Theological Institute for home of President. The building housed Miss Bristow's Boarding and Day School in the 1890s.

Western Baptist Theological Institute
Incorporated by a Special Act of the General Assembly in 1840. Opened, 1845. Conflict between Northern and Southern trustees over slavery issue forced its closing in 1853. Arbitration by Supreme Court Justice John McLean led to equal division of property between the parties.
Presented by the Sanders and Eilerman Families

 
Erected 1973 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1484.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location.
Western Baptist Theological Institute Marker side image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2021
2. Western Baptist Theological Institute Marker side
Click or scan to see
this page online
39° 4.75′ N, 84° 30.734′ W. Marker is in Covington, Kentucky, in Kenton County. Marker is on Russell Street south of West Robbins Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1026 Russell Street, Covington KY 41011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John G. Carlisle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Covington & Lexington Turnpike (approx. ¼ mile away); Linden Grove Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dr. James E. Randolph (approx. 0.3 miles away); Northern KY’s 1st Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); African American Elks (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mother of God Church / "Cradle of the Arts" (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
 
Also see . . .
1. Sandford House. Historical overview by the Kenton County Public Library. (Submitted on June 3, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 

2. Western Baptist Theological Institute. In-depth historical overview by Baptist History Homepage. (Submitted on June 3, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
Sandford House / Western Baptist Theological Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2021
3. Sandford House / Western Baptist Theological Institute Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 3, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174604

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2021