Kenedy in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The town of Kenedy occupies a site that once was part of a royal Spanish land grant to Don Carlos Martinez. American settlement in the area began after the Texas War for Independence (1836). Land for a townsite was purchased in 1886 by railroad promoter Mifflin Kenedy for whom the community was named, and a post office was established the following year.
Kenedy's early growth was attributed to its position as a major stop on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad. Early buildings in Kenedy included a church, store, and cotton gin. By 1906, businesses in the town included newspaper offices, a bank, livery and feed stables and one of the largest cotton compresses in the state. Incorporated in 1910, Kenedy gained a reputation for gunfighting that earned it the name "Six Shooter Junction". In 1915, hot mineral water was discovered near the depot, and the Hot Wells Hotel and Bath House was a thriving business for nearly 25 years. An alien detention camp was located on the outskirts of town during World War II.
Although passenger train service no longer runs through Kenedy, this historic town remains an economic center
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2922.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 28° 49.103′ N, 97° 51.034′ W. Marker is in Kenedy, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Business U.S. 181) and South 3rd Street, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. The marker is located at the front entrance of the Kenedy City Hall building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 West Main Street, Kenedy TX 78119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Matthew's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Karnes City (approx. 5.4 miles away); Karnes County (approx. 5˝ miles away); Karnes County Courthouse (approx. 5.6 miles away); Gregorio Cortez (approx. 7.9 miles away); Old Helena Courthouse (approx. 9.3 miles away); Helena Union Church (approx. 9.3 miles away); Helena (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenedy.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.