Kenedy in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church
Episcopal worship services were held in Kenedy as early as 1899, though the congregation of St. Matthew's was not organized as a mission until 1913, by the Rev. Alfred R.S. Garden. Designed by Frank Corby, this was the only Episcopal church in the county when completed in 1916. The Gothic Revival style structure, in a Latin cross plain, features tall, narrow, pointed-arch windows, fabricated buttresses, and a side entry bay narthex. A crenelated tower was rebuilt with a gabled roof following damage in a 1942 hurricane.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4472.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 28° 48.937′ N, 97° 51.077′ W. Marker is in Kenedy, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker is on South 5th Street 0.1 miles north of School Street, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located at the front entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 South 5th Street, Kenedy TX 78119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Kenedy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Karnes City (approx. 5.6 miles away); Karnes County (approx. 5.7 miles away); Karnes County Courthouse (approx. 5.7 miles away); Gregorio Cortez (approx. 7.8 miles away); Old Helena Courthouse (approx. 9˝ miles away); Helena Union Church (approx. 9˝ miles away); Helena (approx. 9˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenedy.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.