Bergheim in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Engel Store
A native of Austria, Andreas Engel (b.1864) migrated to Texas in 1885. In 1900 he purchased land here and built a cotton gin, around which an agricultural community developed. When the area post office was moved here in 1901 and Engel became postmaster, he named the town Bergheim, German for "Home in the Hills". He and his wife Eva opened a store at this site in 1903. Their son Alfred added later services, including a cedar yard, to meet community needs and aid local development. A symbol of Bergheim's pioneers, the store has remained in the Engel family.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5329.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 29° 49.624′ N, 98° 34.534′ W. Marker is in Bergheim, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is on State Highway 46 0.1 miles west of Farm to Market Road 3351, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located next to the front door of the Bergheim Meat Market.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 843 TX-46 East, Boerne TX 78006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cascade Cavern (approx. 7.6 miles away); Specht's Crossing (approx. 8.4 miles away); Kendall Masonic Lodge No. 897 (approx. 9.3 miles away); Boerne Chapter No. 200 - O.E.S. (approx. 9.3 miles away); SA and AP (approx. 9.3 miles away); Transportation Timeline (approx. 9.3 miles away); Lott Lines (approx. 9.3 miles away); San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railroad Company (SAF&N) (approx. 9.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Bergheim, TX.
In 1887 Casper Seltenfuss (Sültenfuss) hired Engel to cut the native cedars on his property on the Guadalupe River. At this time cedar was used for fence building and was burned to produced charcoal. Engel and his new wife purchased land from Seltenfuss and built their first general store. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on June 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.