Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Webberville in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

LeRoy Township District No. 6 School

 
 
LeRoy Township District No. 6 School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, June 4, 2021
1. LeRoy Township District No. 6 School Marker
Inscription.  In 1856 Webberville’s first school was built on the Lansing and Howell plank road, present-day Grand River Avenue. In 1872 the William McPherson family recorded the first plat for the village, originally named LeRoy. Four years later a three-room wooden school was built on Main Street on land donated by the McPhersons. The school accommodated a growing population, spurred by increased activity brought about by the plank road and the Detroit, Lansing & Lake Michigan Railroad. In 1912 the present school was completed; it served as a high school until 1960. The building is a rare Michigan example of a school in continuous use for over eighty years.
 
Erected 1994 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1900.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
 
Location. 42° 40.085′ N, 84° 10.43′ W. Marker is in Webberville,
LeRoy Township District No. 6 School image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, June 4, 2021
2. LeRoy Township District No. 6 School
Former high school until 1960 as mentioned on marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Cherry Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 N Main St, Webberville MI 48892, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Webberville United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Beeman House (approx. 5.6 miles away); Saint Mary Parish (approx. 5.6 miles away); Downtown Historic District (approx. 5.7 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); McCormick Park (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Bridge (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Mill (approx. 5.8 miles away).
 
LeRoy Township District No. 6 School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, June 4, 2021
3. LeRoy Township District No. 6 School Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174719

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 15, 2021