Churubusco Railroad Depot
The depot was located where the current Post Office is located. The Stites Hotel was located to the immediate north. The Detroit, Eel River and Illinois railroad came to town in 1853, and was a vital reason for the growth of the town. the depot was considered one of the most luxurious in N.E. Indiana.
Over the years, the Vandalia, Pennsylvania, Penn Central, and Conrail were some of the railways coming through town. In its prime, 15-20 trains, both freight and passenger ran these rails. the last train went through Churubusco in 1962,
For more railroad information, stop at the Churubusco History Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 41° 13.832′ N, 85° 19.178′ W. Marker is in Churubusco, Indiana, in Whitley County. Marker is on East State Street (U.S. 205) just west of North Main Street (U.S. 33), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 N Main St, Churubusco IN 46723, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Brumbaugh Popcorn Stand (a few steps from this marker); Here's how Churubusco got its name
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2021, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2021, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.