New Braunfels in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Church Hill School Building
St. Martin's Evangelical Lutheran pastors held day school in the church for years. In 1870 this schoolhouse was built. It served the Hortontown and Neighborsville farm communities, situated on either side of Church Hill road. After 1879, lay teachers were in charge. Classes used both German and English. The public school system used this building after 1958; in 1975 it was given to New Braunfels Conservation Society for use as a school museum.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1976
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 852.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 29° 42.453′ N, 98° 5.878′ W. Marker is in New Braunfels, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is on Church Hill Drive 0.1 miles north of Loop 337 Ramp, on the left when traveling north. The marker is located in front of the building by the road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1297 Church Hill Drive, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this markerNew Braunfels (approx. ¼ mile away); Comal County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Near River Crossing Used by New Braunfels' First Settlers (approx. 0.8 miles away); Faust Street Bridge (approx. one mile away); Texas Germans in the Civil War (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Scholl House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Home of Ferdinand Lindheimer (approx. 1.3 miles away); New Braunfels Woolen Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Braunfels.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.