Judge Ignatius C. Grubb
Old Swedes Churchyard Walking Tour
Judge Ignatius Grubb (1841-1927) was of English descent. His grandfather, Henry Grubb, purchased Pennsylvania lands in 1679, three years before William Penn arrived.
In 1848, Ignatius and his family arrived at Grubbs Landing (now part of Claymont). He was educated at Delaware Academy, read law under Victor du Pont, and was admitted to the Delaware Bar in 1862. He was elected to the Delaware legislature, appointed Secretary of the State of Delaware, and appointed Associate Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court and Associate Judge of the Superior Court. Thus he served in all three branches of Delaware government, legislative, executive and judicial.
Erected by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America of the State of Delaware. (Marker Number 12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1679.
Location. 39° 44.298′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bayard Plot (here, next to this marker); Graffiti Doors (a few steps from this marker); Charles Springer (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Charles Springer (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of John Hendrickson, Sr. (a few steps from this marker); Christiern and Maria Brynberg (a few steps from this marker); Major Peter Jaquett (a few steps from this marker); "M. B." Stone (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.