Algoma in Kewaunee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A good supply of clay located in the area between here and Division Street (three blocks to the west) provided the major raw material needed to make bricks. When the supply of clay diminished after a few years, a new brickyard was established nearby. This yard was in operation until about 1910. Many of the stores in downtown Algoma were built with bricks produced in these yards.
The crushed clay was placed into molds to form the bricks, which were then placed in the sun to dry. While drying, the bricks would be covered when necessary to protect them from dampness and rain. After several weeks, the bricks were ready to be placed in a kiln. During this time, the fires that heated the kilns were tended day and night. After about three weeks in the kiln, the hardened bricks were ready for sale.
Erected 2000 by the Kewaunee County Historical Society.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1226 Lake Street, Algoma WI 54201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Church of St. Agnes-by-the-Lake (approx. 0.3 miles away); Door-Kewaunee County College / Henry Diefenbach Sculptures (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Legion Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Officer Ronald L. Leist (approx. 0.6 miles away); Christmas Tree Ship Point (approx. 0.6 miles away); Schooner Daniel Lyons (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Lumber Industry in Algoma (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bruemmerville (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Algoma.
Also see . . . Algoma's History. (Submitted on March 31, 2009.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Brickyards.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 776 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 31, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.