Okemos in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
William Turner constructed this building in 1877 for his son, Charles, to use as a blacksmith shop. The walls were two-bricks thick and iron rods ran the width and length of the building to hold the walls together.
The building served as a store, private home, and as the Keith Bartow Music Studio.
For a while, meeting and performances were held in the second floor of the building, called “Turner’s Hall”. One room in the front of the building was the first meeting place for the local chapter of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.), a popular fraternal organization during the 1800s and early 1900s.
A short two blocks separated the two buildings, making it easy for guests at the Barnes House to walk to “Turner’s Hall” in the Heathmann-Herre House to enjoy performances.
In danger of being torn down, the Friends of Historic Meridian rescued the building in 1988 and moved it to the Meridian Historical Village for restoration. The 248,000 pound building was moved in one piece. The building now houses a general store exhibit and the Village gift shop.
The first building constructed from milled wood was built by Melzor Turner in 1859.
A later owner, Ezekial Barnes, converted the private residence into a hotel, or “Inn and Tavern”. Travelers stopped at the Inn for a mid-day meal or to rest for the night. Small rooms on the second floor provided the basic needs with a bed, a wash stand, and a chamber pot. Traveling performers and musicians stayed here and performed two blocks away in “Turner’s Hall”.
Initially located at the corner of Hamilton and Okemos Roads, the building was rescued by the Friends of Historic Meridian in 1997 and moved to its current home in the Meridian Historical Village.
Erected by Meridian Historical Village.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1877.
Location. 42° 43.829′ N, 84° 24.908′ W. Marker is in Okemos, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker can be reached from Marsh Road 0.3 miles north of Central Park Drive, on the left when traveling north. Marker is part of the Meridian Historical Village. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5151 Marsh Rd, Okemos MI 48864, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Living (within shouting distance of this marker); The FarmsteadEducation and Faith (within shouting distance of this marker); Star Windmill (within shouting distance of this marker); Travel in the 1800s (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chief Okemos / Okemos Village (approx. 1.2 miles away); Haslett (approx. 1.4 miles away); Chief Okemos (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Okemos.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 9, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. 5. submitted on June 10, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.