Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bellevue in Campbell County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Bellevue Landmark

 
 
Bellevue Landmark Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2021
1. Bellevue Landmark Marker (Side A)
Inscription.  For many years the tower and nave of this edifice have served as an historic feature of Bellevue. The Sacred Heart Church, built 1874, was first house of worship in this city. Present building, erected 1892-93, was originally called Herz Jesu Kirche. At that time the parish ministered chiefly to the German-speaking population.

This structure, which resembles the provincial Bavarian churches, was designed by Cincinnati architect Louis Picket. Altars with ogee arches, elaborate niches, finials, architraves, and bar tracery were handcarved in Germany. The triple clerestory windows have stained glass of European narrative type. Murals created by local artists Leon Lippert and Theodore Brasch.
 
Erected 1974 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1506.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
 
Location. 39° 6.202′ N, 84° 28.871′ W. Marker is in Bellevue, Kentucky, in Campbell County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on Taylor Avenue north of Division Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 Division Street, Bellevue KY 41073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bellevue, Kentucky (approx. 0.4 miles away); Toll House (approx. half a mile away); General James Taylor Home (approx. ¾ mile away); Ohio’s First Publicly Owned Water System (approx. 0.8 miles away in Ohio); B.H. Kroger House (approx. 0.8 miles away); John Fick House (approx. 0.8 miles away); 315 3rd Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); The History Behind the Mt. Adams Steps Pathway (approx. 0.8 miles away in Ohio). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellevue.
 
More about this marker. Marker is partially obscured by foliage. Obscured portions of inscription obtained from Kentucky Historical Society's marker database.
 
Also see . . .  Kentucky MPS Sacred Heart Church. National Register of Historic Places inventory-nomination form for the site. (Submitted on June 11, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
Bellevue Landmark Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2021
2. Bellevue Landmark Marker (Side B)
Bellevue Landmark Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2021
3. Bellevue Landmark Marker
Marker is mostly obscured by evergreen tree.
Bellevue Landmark image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Wholtone / WikiMedia Commons
4. Bellevue Landmark
The church is now known as Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 11, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=175078

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024