Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Men and Boys of Petersburg
Placed by the Petersburg Chapter U.D.C. May 1908
Erected 1908 by Petersburg Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1908.
Location. 37° 12.258′ N, 77° 22.929′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is on South Crater Road (U.S. 301) 0.1 miles south of East South Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. This marker is located next to an alley running between Oakland Street and South Crater Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23805, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. George W. Gowen Monument (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pennsylvania Monument Lincoln In Petersburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battery 31 (approx. half a mile away); Graham Road (approx. ¾ mile away); Joshua L. Chamberlain Promoted “On The Spot” (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Davis (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Davis (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Regarding Old Men and Boys of Petersburg. On June 9, 1864 Maj Gen Quincy A Gillmore launched a 3-pronged attack from City Point against the thinly held Petersburg defenses. That morning 3,000 Federal infantry demonstrated against the northeast and eastern portion of the line to fix the Confederates in place. Meanwhile Brig Gen Augustus V Kautz led 1,300 horsemen up the Jerusalem Plank Road (US 301) to assault the line from below the city.
Kautz's Division engaged Maj Gen Fletcher H Archer's Home Guard of "Old Men and Young Boys" at Battery 27 (Rive's Salient). The militiamen held long enough for Gen PGT Beauregard to rush reinforcements from Bermuda Hundred to the southwest edge of the city. This second
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,749 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 1, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 4. submitted on June 13, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.