Ephrata in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Brothers' House Complex
The Brothers' Meetinghouse (Saal) was erected in November 1746 using the lumber remaining from the construction of the Brothers' House. Again, the building's exact height is not known but the Chronicon notes: “This was a stately building, containing a meeting hall for the community, specially ornamented with Gothic letters, besides galleries and halls for love feasts. After these buildings had been so well completed under the blessing of God, the Brethren moved into their new convent, called Bethany, where their different domiciles were distributed to them
Sixty-five feet south of the southeast corner of the Brothers' House a base floor and foundation wall were located by archaeologists who defined two areas each nineteen feet long and sixteen feet wide. It is entirely possible that a printing operation or another craft workshop may have been housed there.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Peace • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1746.
Location. 40° 10.976′ N, 76° 11.223′ W. Marker is in Ephrata, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from West Main Street (U.S. 322) south of Reading Road (Pennsylvania Route 272), on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Ephrata Cloister [632 W. Main Street (US Route 322)], about 150 feet south of the Beissel House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 West Main Street, Ephrata PA 17522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Conrad Beissel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Kedar (within shouting distance of this marker); Ephrata's Women Composers (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ephrata Cloister Mount Zion Buildings (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Ephrata Cloister (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Brandywine Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Ephrata War Memorial Field Complex (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ephrata.
Also see . . . The Brothers' House on Virtual Tour. (Submitted on October 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,361 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on June 15, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on October 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.