San Augustine in San Augustine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Augustine Catholic Church
In 1716 Franciscan missionaries held the first Catholic services in this vicinity. For many years Catholics in San Augustine were without leadership until 1847 when the Diocese of Galveston recognized it as a mission and sent the Rev. L. C. M. Chambodut as pastor. In 1880 M. C. Tynan deeded the lot at this site for a church which was completed the next year. A new structure replaced that building in 1937 and was later called St. James. In 1975 the Diocese of Beaumont renamed the church St. Augustine.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7640.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1716.
Location. 31° 31.716′ N, 94° 6.67′ W. Marker is in San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on West Market Street east of South Broadway Street when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 W Market St, San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Augustine County Jail (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Pinckney Henderson Major Murry L. Wortham (about 700 feet away); San Augustine County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Old Hollis Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augus Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sam Houston in San Augustine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Law Office of Kenneth L. Anderson (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Augustine.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 15, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.