Saint Rose Catholic Church
History records that Jesuit missionaries from Quebec passed through this part of northwest Ohio as early as 1751. A priest from Tiffin, Ohio visited Perrysburg in 1839 and wrote that there was only one Catholic family living near Perrysburg. In the early 1840's Father Amadeus Rappe, who would later become the first Bishop of Cleveland, ministered along the Maumee River. In 1846-47, several German Catholic families arrived in Perrysburg, and they were joined in 1852 by a large group of families from the Bavarian village of Kirchehrenbach. These families were ministered to by priests in Maumee and Toledo. The baptismal records of St. Joseph Parish in Maumee show that many Perrysburg Catholics made the sometimes dangerous crossing of the Maumee in the 1840's and 1850's to have their children baptized.
By 1861 it was clear that Perrysburg needed its own parish. In January of that year parish trustees were elected under the leadership of Father Seraphim Bauer, the pastor of Saint Joseph Parish in Maumee. The property of the Universalist Church on the corner of Front and Elm Streets was purchased and equipped for Catholic
In 1863 Saint Rose Parish received its first resident pastor, Father Charles Griss. Two years later Father Griss purchased the current church property that was across the street from the original church site. Catholic education has a long tradition at Saint Rose, with the school opening on the new property in 1867.
The pastors of Saint Rose Parish include Fr. Charles Griss (1863-1884), Fr. Gustave Rieken (1885-1901), Fr. J. H. Kleekamp (1901-1908), Fr. Peter Schoendorff (1908-1915), Fr. John Kiebel (1915-1946), Fr. Charles Comnte (1946- 1954), Msgr. Max Walz (1954-1968), Msgr. Robert Yates (1968-1984), Fr. A. Robert Lamantia (1984-1990), Fr. John A. Thomas (1990-1999), Fr. Thomas J. Leyland (1999-2007), and Fr. Marvin G. Borger (2007-present). Today Saint Rose Parish is a vibrant and flourishing parish of over 7,700 members.
"Come to the Lord, a living stone, rejected by human beings but chosen and precious in the sight of God, and, like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."
--1 Peter 2:4-5
Topics. This historical marker Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1751.
Location. 41° 33.687′ N, 83° 37.665′ W. Marker is in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is on East Front Street (Ohio Route 65) just east of Elm Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 E Front St, Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1889 (a few steps from this marker); History Happens Here… (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry (about 700 feet away); The Way We Were… (about 800 feet away); Perrysburg Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Way We Were… (approx. 0.2 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); History Happened Here (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.