San Saba in San Saba County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Saba Church of Christ
San Saba County was organized in 1856, and in 1860 the commissioners court issued a block of land to each religious body; the Christian Church was one of these. The congregation traded their land for another block upon which they built a small frame structure.
The first documented preacher of the Christian Church in San Saba was J.A. Henderson. For many years, services were conducted by lay elders and by traveling ministers. Popular religious debates held in San Saba often involved members of the Christian Church.
The 20th century was ushered in by the 1904 division in the Christian Church, which led the San Saba congregation to choose the Church of Christ. Despite the split and such lean years as those of the depression era, the San Saba Church of Christ thrived. Popular activities such as summer revivals increased membership in the church, with new facilities erected as needed. A controversy over the support of mission work resulted in the founding of a separate congregation in 1957, but the original San Saba congregation carried on and quickly regained its strength, flourishing in the 1970s.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12188.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 31° 11.743′ N, 98° 43.347′ W. Marker is in San Saba, Texas, in San Saba County. Marker is at the intersection of West Wallace Street (U.S. 190) and South 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west on West Wallace Street. The marker is located in front of the Church of Christ building near the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 West Wallace Street, San Saba TX 76877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of San Saba (within shouting distance of this marker); First Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Estep-Burleson Building (approx. Ό mile away); United Confederate Veterans William P. Rogers Camp No. 322 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Texas Rangers and the San Saba Mob (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Saba County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Saba County Jail (approx. half a mile away); James Louis & Eleanor Austin Baker (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Saba.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.