San Saba in San Saba County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of San Saba
Prior to the establishment of the town of San Saba, a group of citizens formed a Baptist congregation which met in homes three miles east on Simpson Creek. Formed in 1856, the congregation was served by missionary preacher T. Howard (1817-1882). The members agreed to move their church to town as soon as the site was determined.
When the first San Saba Courthouse was completed in 1857, the Baptist congregation began meeting there, continuing until 1878, when they met in a small schoolhouse. In 1883, under the guidance of the Rev. McHenry Seal (1877-1957), a church building was erected at 307 E. Storey Street. A parsonage was added in 1899. Both structures were destroyed by fire in 1923.
A building fund was started, and in 1924 the present site was acquired and a new church was begun. The basement construction was of marble donated by a local quarry, which closed due to financial troubles. The building was completed using red brick. A native stone parsonage was built in 1932.
In 1947, an educational facility was added, using converted barracks purchased from Fort Hood. A new educational wing was built
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1672.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 31° 11.753′ N, 98° 43.358′ W. Marker is in San Saba, Texas, in San Saba County. Marker is at the intersection of West Wallace Street (U.S. 190) and North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on West Wallace Street. The marker is located in front of the First Baptist Church near the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 West Wallace Street, San Saba TX 76877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Saba Church of Christ (within shouting distance of this marker); First Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Estep-Burleson Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); United Confederate Veterans William P. Rogers Camp No. 322 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Texas Rangers and the San Saba Mob (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Saba County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Saba County Jail (approx. half a mile away); James Louis & Eleanor Austin Baker (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Saba.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.