Lampasas in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church
Originally known as Sulphur Springs Baptist Church, this congregation was organized in 1856, the same year the town and county of Lampasas were created. Moses Hughes, one of the earliest settlers in the area, was instrumental in the church's formation. The first pastor was the Rev. Richard Howard (1817-82), a native of South Carolina who was active in the establishment of several pioneer Texas churches.
A sanctuary built along Sulphur Creek served the congregation until 1872 when a new building was constructed at Main and Fourth streets. By the late 1880s a larger facility was needed and a new building was begun at Third and Key streets. A lack of funds caused delays and it remained partially built until the 1890s. Under the direction of the Rev J.M. Carroll, local residents donated property to the church. Funds from the sale of the land were used to complete the building. A fire destroyed the structure in 1937 and new facilities were built on the same site.
Since the earliest days of the city, the First Baptist Church of Lampasas has been an active leader in civic development, missions, and Baptist associational
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1646.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 31° 3.856′ N, 98° 10.984′ W. Marker is in Lampasas, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker is at the intersection of West 3rd Street and South Key Avenue (U.S. 190), on the left when traveling west on West 3rd Street. The marker is located on the side wall of the Church near the north entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 South Key Avenue, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Bell of First Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Christian Church (about 700 feet away); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Matt and Rebecca Smith House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Manuel Hardware Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Little Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lampasas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.