Lampasas in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
The First Presbyterian Church in Lampasas originated from Presbyterian missionaries in 1877. The congregation was officially organized on October 28, 1881, with seven members. On September 29, 1882, the First Presbyterian Church called its first pastor, Reverend John Giffen, and erected a worship building.
Over the years, several pastors would serve the church and community, including Reverend E.C. Leeper who helped the congregation gain state recognition as a religious institution and guided their growth in 1907 and 1908. In 1915, Reverend J.M. Brooks oversaw the construction of a new sanctuary on Chestnut and Third streets. A parsonage, fellowship hall and Sunday school building were added by 1954.
The congregation became the beneficiary of the Ida and Pauline Senterfitt Estate, and with this support, a new sanctuary was built in 1959 to replace the 1916 building. The congregation grew and extended its missionary outreach around Texas, other states and foreign countries.
This congregation has always supported missions of mercy and ministries that nurture the faith of the congregation, and has assisted
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18071.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 29, 1882.
Location. 31° 3.887′ N, 98° 10.87′ W. Marker is in Lampasas, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker is at the intersection of South Chestnut Street and East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north on South Chestnut Street. The marker is located at the front of the Church by the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 South Chestnut Street, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Old Opera House (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Matt and Rebecca Smith House (about 600 feet away); Old Bell of First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Manuel Hardware Building (about 700 feet away); Phillips and Trosper Buildings (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lampasas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.