The Way We Were…
Statue of Commodore Perry
The statues of the 1812 naval war hero, Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, and the midshipmen seulpted by William Walcutt were commissioned by the City of Cleveland in 1860. They were taken down in 1929, donated to Perrysburg and erected on Front Street on September 18, 1937. The crumbling midshipmen were taken off and the Commodore placed on a green marble base on December 17, 1966. That was then replaced by a bronze replica with all three figures intact on Memorial Day, May 26 in 1997. The original Commodore is in the museum at Put-In-Bay and the midshipmen are in the atrium at the Perrysburg Municipal Building.
Munger Meat Market
George and John Munger opened their meat market in 1879. The business operated until 1925 when it was sold to George V. Schwind. This was also the location of The Worden 5˘ to $1 store in 1952-53.
Little is known of the origins of this building but phone book records show it was the Rossbach & Hoffman dress shop in 1925-30,which then moved to 200 Louisiana Avenue, and closed about 1959.
The Art Thornton Bakery is no longer. It was the place known by all the local residents as a spot where they could smell the aroma of roasting peanuts and receive a free sample. Art was a baker in town for 45 years. The Thornton family operated in this location until about 1940.
Mr. Thornton delivered to local groceries and nearby country stores.
Tourist Inn and Cafe
In 1929 the A.C. Fuller Dry Goods Company occupied this address. In 1930 the Fuller Company moved across the street to 124 Louisiana Avenue. The Tourist Inn Cafe then occupied the space until the building was razed in 1959. The Cafe then moved to 215 Louisiana Avenue.
Perrysburg Banking Company
The Perrysburg Banking Company was incorporated on May 12, 1906. It was designed by George B. Rheinfrank, Sr. and its first president was Edgar L. Kingsbury, a Civil War veteran. In 1959 the drive-thru and parking facilities were added. The Perrysburg Bank merged with the Bank of Wood County in 1962, and in 1974 became the Huntington National Bank.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is May 26, 1812.
Location. 41° 33.592′ N, 83° 37.793′ W. Marker is in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is on Louisiana Avenue (U.S. 20) just south of West Front Street (U.S. 20), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 Louisiana Ave, Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Way We Were… (here, next to this marker); History Happens Here… (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Way We Were… (within shouting distance of this marker); Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry (within shouting distance of this marker); Perrysburg / Perrysburg Plat Map (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Perrysburg World War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Perrysburg Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); Fort Meigs Directional Marker (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.