Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
— The First Campaign —
The Northwestern Turnpike ran through town. From here, the Fairmont-Beverly Pike continued south through Philippi and intersected the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike at Beverly. In May 1861, Union troops poured into Grafton to protect the B&O Railroad. Here at the Grafton Hotel, they prepared for the Battle of Philippi.
Grafton was a major supply depot that supported Union troops fighting in Western Virginia. Throughout the Civil War, thousands of troops and tons of war supplies moved through this town. A general military hospital was located in the area of Walnut Street.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1861.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Welcome To Historic Grafton West Virginia (a few steps from this marker); Colerider Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Taylor County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Loar Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jolliffe Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brinkman Block (about 400 feet away); Merchants & Mechanics Savings Bank (about 400 feet away); The First Campaign (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
More about this marker. Marker contains a drawing of the town on the bottom and a map of the area in the upper right showing your location and the location of other nearby Civil War sites on the First Campaign Trail.
Also see . . . Taylor County WV in the Civil War. Excerpt: “While Latham was in Wheeling, two Confederate companies from Taylor County, one under the command of Captain John A. Robinson and one under George W. Hansbrough, and a company from Clarksburg under the command of William P. Cooper, rendezvoused at Fetterman. Led by Colonel Porterfield, the whole force marched through the streets of Grafton to demonstrate the strength of the Confederacy. Upon arriving at Latham's residence, Captain Robinson stopped (Submitted on July 3, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on June 21, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on June 21, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.