Hamilton in Hamilton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John Thomas James was a pharmacist who moved from Missouri to Hamilton in 1876. He opened a drugstore (a simple frame building) on or near this site about 1878. Z.C. Law was his partner until 1885, when he was replaced by Dr. George F. Perry. Perry was also a native of Missouri, and had come to Hamilton in 1870. Together, Mr. James and Dr. Perry diversified the business by opening a bank at the rear of the drugstore. It was the first in Hamilton. About 1907, the frame structure was replaced with the current brick building. The drug store and bank occupied the first floor, while a dentist's office was located on the second. In later years, the building housed retail businesses, including the Garner Alvis Department Store (circa 1940s-1960s). The photo below, taken after 1885 and before 1907, shows the interior of the drug store with Dr. George F. Perry on the left, and John Thomas James on the right.
Erected by Hamilton County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 31° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 North Rice Street, Hamilton TX 76531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hamilton Bank and Trust Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Lest We Forget (within shouting distance of this marker); Hamilton County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Ann Whitney (within shouting distance of this marker); Elise Waerenskjold (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice-Eidson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Knights of Pythias Lodge Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Hamilton National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.