Columbia United Methodist Church
Site of the first dedicated house of worship in Lorain County. The first Methodist service in Columbia Township occurred in 1818 in the home of the Widow Burke. Methodists continued to meet in homes until 1830 when the first church building was completed on this spot. It was replaced by the existing structure in 1905. Religion played a vital role in the lives of the first pioneers to Lorain County providing for much needed spiritual guidance and social gatherings. In the early days, circuit riding Methodist preachers braved the wilderness and the elements to serve these pioneer communities.
This marker placed in memory of those faithful Methodist pioneers who brought 200 years of Methodism to Columbia Township
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
Location. 41° 18.751′ N, 81° 55.454′ W. Marker is in Columbia Station, Ohio, in Lorain County. Marker is on Royalton Road (Ohio Route 82) 0.1 miles east of West River Road (County Highway 60), on the right
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Columbia Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia Township (approx. 0.2 miles away); Olmsted Falls L.S. & M.S. Depot (approx. 4.4 miles away); Pomeroy House (approx. 4.6 miles away); Town Hall and School Building (approx. 4.7 miles away); Olmsted Falls, A Historic Community (approx. 4.7 miles away); Chestnut Grove Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Olmsted’s Origins / Olmsted Township (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 22, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.