Hamilton in Hamilton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Price Monroe Rice, son of Rufus P. Rice, one of the first pioneer children born in Hamilton County, built this building in 1912. He attended Law School at the University of Texas, and practiced law in Hamilton. P.M. Rice held various positions with both the County and City governments, including service as County Judge and Mayor. He contributed greatly to the physical development of the city. In the early 1920s as Mayor, he established City Lake as a reliable water supply, and facilitated the installation of four miles of water mains. After his election to the position of County Judge in 1925, P.M. Rice oversaw the designation and grading of the Hamilton segments of what are now U.S. Highway 281 and State Highway 36. The current courthouse was also constructed during his time as County Judge.
The building was owned by Judge Rice until his death in 1962, and by his widow, Cornelia, until 1965, when it was sold to Luther McGlothlin. The building has had many uses. While the first floor was generally occupied by retail use, it is likely that the upstairs was maintained as professional offices. It is thought that Judge Rice used
Erected by Hamilton County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 31° 42.212′ N, 98° 7.427′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Texas, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 36) and North Rice Street (U.S. 281), on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. The marker is located on the center wall of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 East Main Street, Hamilton TX 76531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rice-Eidson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Elise Waerenskjold (within shouting distance of this marker); Ann Whitney (within shouting distance of this marker); Hamilton County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Hamilton Bank and Trust Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Eidson-Rice Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Lest We Forget (within shouting distance of this marker); James Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.