The A. Friedheim & Bro. And Smith-Fewell Buildings
Construction of the Friedheim and Smith-Fewell buildings began in June 1898. Both structures were built by local craftsmen using over 1 million brick, 5 railcars of stone, 150,000 ft. of lumber and over 700 sq. ft. of plate glass.
Both stores opened to the public in the spring of 1899. Friedheim's was the first store in Rock Hill to sell ready-to-wear clothes, along with carpets, furniture, buggies, and dry goods. From 1910-1914, the Smith-Fewell building served as a mercantile establishment and the Rock Hill Library.
Erected 1999 by York County Culture and Heritage Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1898.
Location. 34° 55.555′ N, 81° 1.639′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is on East Main Street, 0.1 miles east of Dave Lyle Boulevard (State Highway 122), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 E Main St, Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.